Monday, July 17, 2006

Food spree

Went to NUS in the morning with Yi Xin for the NUS Science Orientation Camp - Scinimation - and after which we decided to go home. Then I was thinking of what I can eat when I get back home and right at Tiong Bahru MRT Station, I asked Yi Xin if she wanna go Tiong Bahru Market for lunch, I wanted to try some good porridge there.

The problem is, we don't know how to get there.

We stayed at the platform while I called my dad to no avail, so we decided to go up and ask the officers inside the control station.

The nice uncle told us how to get there. Yeay. It's about a bus stop's distance of walking from Tiong Bahru MRT Station. We were there at about 2 pm plus.

I saw the porridge featured in U-weekly. It's called Tiong Bahru Hua Yuen Porridge 中峇鲁华园粥品 and their specialty is steamboat porridge 火锅粥. It serves two, and comes with either a pork/pork innards set for $9 or a seafood set for $11. I didn't eat that due to the price though. Will want to try it the next time I drop by. Moreover the steamboat is those small-sized ones, like when you eat 小锅面 at food courts. That kind of size. And it serves two with a plate of ingredients lo. So..it's quite expensive to start with. The website shows the old stall in the pre-renovation market. The current stall is half that size. #02-74 if I'm not wrong.

Instead I tasted the normal pork porridge from there. NICE! I like the texture..it's very soft, and you gulp it down, needless to chew. The auntie cooked the minced meat balls and lean meat with the porridge first, then poured the contents into the bowl then she added the pork liver and stir. So the liver isn't that cooked yet it isn't bloody! It's not everytime that I eat liver not completely cooked. Really nice. I like.

Yi Xin tried lor mee 卤面 from another stall. This stall's signboard is white with red words, something like XXX 卤面, where the XXX stands for some numbers which I didn't remember. The gravy is nice, but for $2 you get the usual ingredients in the noodles except braised egg and ngoh hiang. Yi Xin is happy that you get to choose how much chilli, garlic and vinegar you want to put. For $3 you get to have shark meat too. And probably something else, but I don't know what. I just think that since people are going anti-sharks' fin...it's a bit sinful if I go try the shark meat.

Other than that we tried popiah 薄饼 from the stall nearer to the escalator. Uh, don't try that please. For $1.50 it's really not worth it. It is almost tasteless, the popiah wasn't firm enough so when you try to pick a piece up it'll dismantle itself. Remember, the stall nearest to the escalator.

We then bought drinks from this stall manned by an auntie. I got sugarcane juice with lemon, large-sized one, for $1.50. The plastic cup is large...about that of McDonald's large-sized cup. So it's very worth it. Yi Xin got soyabean milk plus chin chow at the same size for $1. Things are affordable there lo. Just that we cannot really finish our drinks. I had a bit left, Yi Xin got about less than half left. Wasted. If only I live near the market or my school resides near there.

Tiong Bahru Market is recently re-opened after renovation works. Now the place is quite clean, dry, and ventilation there is good. Just that the seats are not that clean because the cleaners wipe
the table but the not all the crumbs fall to the floor. Thanks to the smoking ban in eating places, I enjoyed a smoke-free lunch with my darling Yi Xin and we ate happily. We spotted the smoking area there. Just about the space of three large tables, that's it.

I forgot to take photos of our food la. Another time then.

The next time I go there I wanna try the steamboat porridge.

The next next time I go there I wanna try the
lor mee.

The next next next time I go there I wanna try the
Malay and Indian and Western food.

If I get to go there for breakfast I wanna try the Tiong Bahru chwee kueh 水粿. It's a very famous chwee kueh chain that has got franchise all over the island, including one at Tampines Mart which I ate before. The pickled radish 菜脯 or cai por as it is commonly known, has got sesame mixed in it and the taste is very special. A nice breakfast to have. Plus soyabean curd please.

I think you ought to go in the morning when the stalls are mainly open. Because we went there in the mid-afternoon and several stalls were already done for the day, like those selling pancakes 面煎粿 mee jian kueh (I don't know if this stall is still there, didn't notice) and soyabean curd 豆花 tau huay.

The exact part of Tiong Bahru where the market resides in is Kim Pong Road. The first level consists of the wet market as well as some shops selling things like clothes, incense papers, mobile phones etc. The hawker centre is at the second level, and the third level is for parking.

No no, Yi Xin and I are no foodies, we just happened to be so today. If you wanna go there but don't know how, you can ask the friendly uncle at the Tiong Bahru control station. Or call me.

No comments: