Friday, July 21, 2006

First time to Xin Wang Hong Kong Cafe

Yi Xin brought Shun Wei, Hui Ying and I to this eatery in Marina Square called 新旺香港茶餐厅 after our QET. FYI, out of the seven of us, six who are going on to university are going NUS, and all six of us needed to take the test. Hui Ying left a while later to meet her friend, Shi Hui went to meet her friend after the QET, and Jing Yi went for her medical checkup.

The cafe is located at the row of eateries facing Raffles Link when you get out of the escalator from CityLink Mall. It is along the same corridor as Subway.

Things at the cafe are quite expensive la. But they aren't stingy about their portions.

(credits to Yi Xin) This is the signboard of the cafe

There was a whole range of choices to make, from spaghetti to dim sum to toast to desserts and drinks. It's East-West fusion. 中西合并.That explains the variety.

The serviettes and the plastic retro plates
The cutlery, sauces, green chilli, everything you need

The ambience is great! But it's a bit complicated because we saw statues (fake ones, of course) from dating back to ancient China. Those stone soldiers..ring a bell? Shun Wei named them Peter and John, and they lived till today to watch us eat at Xin Wang.

Yi Xin and Shun Wei. The statues that I was talking about - you see one of them in the background
We were sitting at one of the booths

Hui Ying ordered this - Iced Honey Jasmine Green Tea

Since Hui Ying had agreed to meet her friend for lunch she only had a drink with us. The taste is great! When you drink what greets you is the taste of honey and a light tinge of tea. Duh. The honey is those kind that you buy in supermarket, not those just sweet kind of honey. Really those plastic bottled honey type. Anyway, when you swallow the drink, what stays in your mouth is the slight bitterness of the green tea. It's very nice! S$4.90.

This is what Shun Wei ordered. Black pepper chicken with rice
Yi Xin's black pepper chicken spaghetti
Mine! One of their specialty I guess. Some cheese-baked pork spaghetti

Can't remember the names.

The vegetables in Shun Wei's dish aren't that tasty and crunchy like vegetables should be. Otherwise the big flaps of black pepper chicken taste not bad lo. S$7.90 each.

For me, the cheese smelled great. Haha. Under the not-so-thin cheese top, there's a flap of pork chop there. The bad part for me is that...I hate the thick layer (it is thicker than the cheese cover) of fat. So I cut it out. Haha. And the pork was a bit dry. Below the pork I got spaghetti! Not bad altogether. S$8.90. It's supposed to be an in-house specialty.

After I was almost full, which tells me that I should just stop eating, Shun Wei's order of a mango ice with condensed milk dessert came. It's huge.

Not just your typical food court ice-kachang

The dessert was too much for the three of us. But we managed to eat till what's left was water with condensed milk. The mango bits there were like, they cut the mango and dice them by themselves. Tasted fresh, sweet and tangy. S$6.90.

Before the gargantuan mango ice-kachang came, YX and I ordered drinks. She asked for milk tea and I asked for yuan-yang 鸳鸯 which is a mix of coffee and tea. It must be mixed in the right amounts with milk and then you get the perfect drink. This one I ordered is perfect. Really. Damm nice la!!! The taste of everything together...It's dammmm nice! That's the only thing that I especially love at the cafe.

Left: Yi Xin's milk tea
Right: My yuan-yang

Both drinks are for S$2.90 each. The milk tea is in fact okay if you are anti-coffee. Don't under-estimate the cups, they're stainless steel. Haha that's not the point. They're quite big mugs.

It is quite recommended that you go I think, and go ahead when you have a big appetite and tons of cash to spare.

I'll have to go for this Sheares Hall open house tomorrow, and my block's colour is red and I have to get a red top (which I don't have). Yi Xin saw this red top at Zara the other day and she suggested I get from there. She got one for herself too. It's the Zara basic range, and the top only costs about S$19.90. Quite a typical price. I didn't have time to queue since I had to rush to MJ to welcome the Japanese so Yi Xin paid for me first. And I ran off!

Signed 24072006, 1500hrs

No comments: