Monday, May 01, 2006

May Day

Nope Jie Ying, I'm not going to talk about 五月天. Haha.

I am rather amused by how the whole pre-elections period is. Highly entertaining. You see the way they talk at rallies, the way parties shoot each other for this and that reason, and so on. You witness scandals. You witness crossfires. You witness plots to bring down the rivals. Parties are sensitive to the actions of their rivals and try to pick on faults from speeches. They publicly announce such things to the press and to the audience at rallies. Isn't this as interesting as Desperate Housewives? Haha. This whole GE is like a drama serial, and no one can predict the ending. So interesting. Scriptwriters won't be this professional to write out such a story.

For Hougang and Potong Pasir, the opposition parties are stronger and have been the party there for years. The People's Action Party (PAP) didn't win these wards for the past two elections, when Potong Pasir is under Chiam See Tong of Singapore Democratic Alliance (SDA) and Houngang under Low Thia Kiang of the Workers' Party (WP). But actually, these opposition parties only won seats by a bit. In GE 2001, Chiam See Tong won the Potong Pasir ward by 52.4%, whereas PAP's representative Sitoh Yih Pin won 47.6% of the votes. Low Thia Kiang won the votes by 55% from Eric Low. I can imagine how frustrated the PAP supporters are. Haha.

I can't believe that I actually trailed the news of the General Elections (GE). In fact, I can't wait for the GE to come so I can know how the opposition really did.

I live in Tampines, and SDA is contesting the PAP for this ward. I'm rather scared la actually. From as soon as I am aware, I've been living under PAP ever since I was born. I was just wondering what the SDA can do, I never go around to rallies, can't be bothered actually. But just by judging the looks and poise of SDA, I worry if they win this ward. Really. I'm not some true white PAP supporter ya. I don't go around telling people I support so and so and I have no parties that I support. It's just that we've seen how PAP carried out their plans well and fulfilled whatever they promised. SDA is also formed from a few political parties, and I don't know how well they can do things. Rather I hope that the SDA can make their abilities clearer and let Tampinesians (like me) trust them. Though I have no say in voting. So I talk here lo.

Oh but I am rather interested that the SDA has got this umployment.com.sg site that will take effect after the elections to help the people (only in Tampines I think) find jobs. One of the SDA Tampines candidate, Edmund Ng, runs a recruitment agency actually. I think this is quite a good idea.

Wave!!! That's the SDA

Moreover, the manifestos of the opposition are rather narrow-minded. I feel that they are more of targeting the flaws of PAP and tell the people that they can do well and do better, when PAP's plans are more established and covers not only Singapore, but also Singapore's foreign affairs too. Terrorism, etc.

We can actually test if fortune-tellers work. Just get them to tell us who will win the elections for whichsoever contituency, and we will know if we can trust fortune-tellers in the future.

I publish a few of my views here, but readers, please don't spread them ok. Haha. In case I break the law and I don't know. Yea, my views la, don't frame me haha. My mum is like, 'Will go to jail one ah, don't anyhow send (post) ah!' So yes, I don't wanna waste my time in jail.

Ah I think you people ought to be able to recognise the logos of the various parties.

WP
SDP
SDA
PAP

*No bias involved about the sizes of the photos. These are the best I can find.
*And I don't wish to influence the views of you voters in any way ok.


And if you all think I should just scrape this post in case anything happens to me, tell me! I shall take your advice then.

I saw this song on the PAP website. I published for you readers to see what the elections can do. People mock at each other.

笨人歌

拾金不昧笨不笨,你若不笨便是贪。

大智若愚人称憨,卧虎藏龙在深山;

笨字拆开本是竹,清风傲骨腰不弯。

铁杵磨针不怕难,愚公移山为谁忙;

神农若不尝百草,后人那来千金方。

名嘴出口能成章,一时口误惹祸端;

原本一颗小红点,越描越黑越肮脏。

不奸不坏不是笨,知足常乐又何妨;

政府既然委贤良,奉公守法也应当。

虽然没有大革命,家家丰衣有米粮;

虽然没有大河川,车水马龙国富强。


作者:陈有珊


The sentence that I bolded - I think it's very true.

James Gomez of WP made himself popular by somehow lying that he already handed in the form for some application of the minority thingy, and insisted that he hand the form in to the Elections Department already. This sort of form very important one ma, so the department was rather distressed. Lucky for them, they installed a CCTV system and the video showed that Gomez didn't hand in the form. Then he admitted and apologised at a rally, reading from an apology letter suspectedly crafted by a lawyer since legal language was used.

I just think that if someone can lie publicly and not think about the consequences, how can he be part of the parliament?

Ah....I love this drama.

No comments: