Saturday, April 22, 2006

SYF Central Judging of Display Bands 2006

Went to the outdoor band competition with Jie Ying, after lunch with the Hai Sing people.

I had Hai Sing alumni in the morning, and not many people came. It was very funny, with the suan-ing of Cedric because he 手酸 and have to tolerate the building up of lactic acid while he was conducting...very little people came la, but overall it was very enjoyable. Yi Xin took my tuba and posed as a tuba player for a minute.

Bellow bellow I'm turning yellow

Actually she doesn't look weird if she plays the tuba.

And we went Magic Wok at Whitesands for lunch.

Pat Thai. And the bowl of won ton soup to share

On the way to the National Stadium with Jie Ying, there was a surprise sight. We were crossing the road to reach the People's Association area.

Nice one

I think someone must have been whipping a child at the back of a pick-up when the duster chose to escape.

The empty field, waiting for the next round of entertainment Jie Ying and me

We came a bit too late though it was around 1630. Didn't manage to sit at the grandstand but on the right of it, and we sat on quite a low level so the view wasn't nice. And we chatted and of course, gossip-ed and waited for Ju Ling and Cedric to arrive.

At last the activities started at 5 pm and the competition of 8 bands kicked off.

Band No. 1: Tanjong Katong Secondary School

Part of the TK percussion section

Some bird lookalike




Is this another bird?




Ending


In all actually I don't really think their formations are great la, and their band major didn't drop the mace at all. He's the only one who didn't drop the mace while playing with it. But their formations aren't impressive but the sychronisation part is good. They were awarded Gold with Honours. I don't know how to judge the display bands la. So only gave my opinions. Ha.

Band No. 2: Bukit Panjang Government High

The way they entered is quite special

Peace on you
This is some flower or something along that line
Hmm. A shield?


I like this school's formations best among all. They went to the extent of making circular formations which are difficult to form I think. 'Cos marching is usually very angular. They were awarded Gold.

Band No. 3: Deyi Secondary School


The dances were flagging away while the band only moved a bit




The drummers in front doing some styles


Neat

This school actually focused too much on their dancers I think. Haha. But they still got Gold with Honours, which I don't know why. Wasn't blown away nor impressed.

Band No. 4: Yusof Ishak Secondary School






Only took a few photos for this band...not that I want to say, but I must highlight that this band was the easiest to take photos of. Because they were rather compressed. Awarded Bronze.

Band No. 5: Jurong West Secondary School

Blow the picture up and you'll see them in cowboy suits Those running in front must be their Sec 1s. Dancers. They were cute though. Haha



This band is rather entertaining la. As a whole their performance, the way they moved, quite funny. And the Sec 1s dancing and all. Haha. Silver.

Band No. 6: West Spring Secondary School

The rain is coming! Performing against the dark sky



Don't remember much about this band..but anyway, I also don't know what they got.

Band No. 7: Bowen Secondary School

If you can see, their drum major is a female, the only female among all drum majors Merry-go-round


The fact is, the judges are all men if I'm not wrong. One from Japan, another from Thailand, two from SAF band and the remaining one from the Singapore Police Force band. I was telling Jie Ying if this band did well, it must be because the judges were rather deprived.

This band got Gold with Honours.

But of course, I was just cracking a lame joke which got true.

Anyway, the next one may get a bit biased...

Band No. 8: Ping Yi Secondary School/Springfield Secondary School (combined)















Look at the four in black behind following the band

Guess who?

I remember screaming a lot for this band because Felix was from there. Haha. Then biased you know, that explains the many photos. They were awarded Gold.


Overall at least, I think the bands can't really project their sound..so from where I was it was very muffled.

Oh and if I mentioned anything wrong with the results do enlighten me.

And after that went with Ju Ling, Kai Ling and Hong Wei back to MJ as the keys were with KL.

Signed April 30, 2006. Sunday. 1503 hrs.

No comments: