Sunday, April 16, 2006

No more foreign saliva

Went to IMM with Yi Xin, Felix and Hong Wei to get my new mouthpiece and the accessories for MJ band.

It was rather entertaining with Felix around so the train ride wasn't boring at all. Haha. Felix tortures at the same time.

All four of us chatted happily with Ms Sia at Band World with all those suaning and irritating and laughing. Haha. Crazy people.

Ms Sia recommended me the Perantucci PT-88+. I was rather afraid at first because I may not like the mouthpiece and it'll be unsuitable for me. A mouthpiece costs over a hundred so I don't really dare to buy for trying. Since I can sell it to Felix in case it doesn't suit...I bought it anyway. Haha. With a mouthpiece pouch. No prices quoted.

I initially went there for the PT-84 since I used it before, during the pre-SYF days last year and have been using it as much as I could. Still remembered when I first used the PT-84 I felt so heavenly. Haha. Because my tone sounded heavenly. So I didn't like to use the Denis Wick 1L mouthpiece (usually meant for beginners) ever since. Heh.

Differences?

PT-84
Model PT-84 provides a powerful, projecting sound. It is very flexible, has a good upper range, and gives a very quick response for a mouthpiece of this size, particularly in the low range. This is a very popular mouthpiece, highly recommended for the Eb tuba.
CUP - 33mm diam. Medium deep.
RIM - Width 7.5mm. Fairly sharp inner edge. Moderately round rim
THROAT BORE - 8.4mm

PT-88
Model PT-88 was primarily intended as a special applications mouthpiece for low register playing. However, it has found considerable acceptance for use on medium-large bore CC tubas. It serves very well on any BBb tuba, providing a very full, strong tone. It is recommended for advanced players. (*Coughs* Kidding la!)
CUP - 33.5mm diam. Very wide, deep cup. Bowl-shaped and very round at the bottom.
RIM - Width 7mm. Rounded inner edge, very rounded outer edge.
THROAT BORE - 8.2mm

The thing is, I couldn't find the actual specifications for PT-88+, but I know it's similar to PT-88 from some information I found online.

PERANTUCCI Plus Models: The PT-24+, the PT-50+, the PT-83+ and the PT-88+ feature a new outside shape which incorporates modified cup and bore specifications as well as additional weight for unprecedented stability and projection of the sound.

I'll need a lot of breathing practices to use the PT-88+ well, which is good.

More information about the Perantucci tuba mouthpieces can be found here and here.

PT-88+ feels so right in my palm...hahahahaa
PERANTUCCI PT-88+
The pouch with my mouthpiece inside it

Gonna do some elaboration of the specifications of the mouthpieces that I've seen and/or used before.

DENIS WICK
1L
Extra deep cup. Large fitting (all modern instruments). For all large tubas. Enormous volume and range. Needs strong embouchure.
CUP - 32.50 mm
RIM - 7.48 mm
BORE SIZE - 8.43 mm

1XL
Especially for the professional tuba player, new mouthpieces have been introduced to give even more volume and projection. They are a little more difficult to control, but the extra effort repays dividends.

The inner rim contours are a little rounder for players who need to spend long hours in practice or performance. Much research has gone into the subtle reworking of the exterior shape to give even more powerful maximum dynamics and volume in all registers.
CUP - 32.50 mm
RIM - 7.48 mm
BORE SIZE - 8.43 mm

3L
Deep cup. Large fitting (all modern instruments). Deep well rounded cup and huge throat and backbore give rich organ-like tone
CUP - 31.25 mm
RIM - 8.11 mm
BORE SIZE - 8.78 mm

PERANTUCCI
PT-83
Model PT-83 offers a distinct but dark sound in all registers. The sharp inner rim provides quick response. It is designed for use with the CC and BBb tubas. It is an all-purpose mouthpiece.
CUP - 33mm diam. Medium deep.
RIM - Width 7.5mm. Fairly sharp inner edge. Moderately round rim
THROAT BORE - 8.4mm

PT-84
As above

PT-88+
As above

But anyway, if your playing basically isn't that good, getting a new mouthpiece won't help that much la, really. It's like the texture of your tone is already bad, changing mouthpieces thinking that it'll help won't help. I think. Nevertheless hope the mouthpiece will help me!

I'm so happy that I outlived the times when I have to share mouthpieces and wash others' saliva stains away. I'll just wash and use mine. =D

Anyway, something funny happened on our way to the Jurong East MRT Station.


This man was sleeping on the train. And his head did almost touch the seat beside him and other passengers moved away. I mean, it's pretty normal if you see people sleeping and keep tilting their heads on the trains or buses. But he's extraordinary. He might as well lie down on the seats.

No comments: