Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Packed

Reported at 10 am as instructed, an hour later than yesterday. It's another round of visitors, and I see that there were really big clients. Visitors were issued a pass stating their name, company and country, and below were coloured rectangles bearing words like 'LOCAL VISITOR', 'OVERSEAS VISITOR', 'VIP BUYER', and so on. It's quite easy to differentiate the locals anyway, overall they dressed a bit too casually and of course, the typical kiasu people.

Decided not to have any breaks, hence sacrificing chances to walk around...quite sad la. Since I need to leave at 1530 for the NUS interview.

And there were new tarts from Bakerzin today! The prawn thing is so delicious ok...

Strawberry tartlet! This is damm nice...the strawberries weren't sour at all and it was a whole strawberry!
Yoghurt ice-cream with mango and nuts. My colleague took it for me from a booth down the isle. It's very very nice!
Valrhona chocolate. From Italy if I'm not wrong, and it is quite nice
I don't know what you call this, it's not bad la, chicken salad kind of thing as filling. The outer skin tastes like biscuit but the texture is softer
The mushroom and spinach thing
This is prawn with some sauce (I think it's Thousand Island Dressing) with pieces of mango on top!!! I love this man! It's super nice! By the way the bottom part is bread
Pernicotti chocolate. It's sweeter than Valrhona and melts easier than it too, but taste and texture wise it's not bad

The agent from Tampines RE called and told me about the admin job Yi Xin is at. So I got offered an interview at 9 am tomorrow. Why do I get all these kang tao all of a sudden? My schedule is so packed. Need to plan time properly and find out how to get to Kaki Bukit and from there to the Expo in the shortest time possible, without taking a cab. Sigh.

I was late for the NUS interview by five minutes. Excuses? Nope. 'Cos really my fault because I went to eat ice-cream offered to me by the adjacent booth. Vanilla. Yum. And I couldn't get on the train since I was eating and I needed to pee before I take the train, else I'll be tolerating till Buona Vista. So wasted some time eating and pee-ing and waiting for the train. And Bus 95 which brings me to NUS from BV station.

The interview was not bad la I guess. I noticed that I was swinging from side to side on the swivel chair but I didn't care. There were two male professors who interviewed me, they weren't mean to me that I was late. The receptionist who brought me to the room was. Irritating woman. 'You're a bit late aren't you?' Of course, I can read the time since kindergarten. But ya. Didn't spoil my mood for the interview. Was posed quite challenging questions la, to me such questions are those which ask about my future. Like I told them I want to get into Applied Math, as my first choice. And they asked what I'd do with my degree. I was like, I wish to get into the defence sector of the government and do things like the equipment. Quite interesting to me la, but how well I can apply mathematics to it I have no idea. I actually predicted this question already and prepped for it and decided to just crap with this answer. Didn't crap well.

Another challenge was that one of the profs actually hurt me a bit. He said something like 'Tell me something about you that NUS should really take you in. This is your second chance, no, this interview is already your second chance. How will you make use of this special chance to... ... ...' I scored an ABD and NTU can happily take me in. As what the prof at NTU said la, when I asked him during the open house. He said my scores can enter. NUS I needed to get an interview. I merely replied him I don't know. Argh.

They asked if my first choice was NUS, I replied yes. What else can the answer be right? Though my first choice all along was NTU. I didn't know what made me lie.

If I couldn't get accepted into Applied Math, then my second choice will be Statistics. If I get into stats I'd probably try to work with those established stats companies, something like AC Nielsen.

The whole interview lasted about 20-25 mins. You know why? Because we were discussing about current affairs. They asked about my opinion about the coming General Elections. Thank the nice guy up that I've been tailing the news of the elections. So I had a lot of talk about and we discussed things and issues happily, though I think what I said were rather dry. But anyway, ya...then one of the prof asked me about the increase in oil prices, my opinions and l was like, heng ah I read TIME magazine. Caught the article about those oil derived products will also have an inflation in prices. Including baby diapers. So I could talk a lot la, think I can impress a bit with all those info in my brain. Just that I don't understand why they were asking current affairs for science fact. Maybe they want those all-rounded people lo.

My brother works at NUS Medicine faculty, it was just nearby so I waited for him and we went home together.

Signed May 2, 2006. Tuesday. 0030 hrs.

No comments: