Tuesday, April 25, 2006

First day of work

And I was late! Haha. Took a cab there and was on time.

I predicted there to be also tons of overseas visitors and there really were a lot!

This quite famous among the high-end society bakery, called Bakerzin (pronounced as Baker's in) uses Koma's equipment and are one of the clients, and so they supplied us with pastries. Like tartlets and the like. They're in the same hall as us, actually just a short walk down the isle.

Their pastries, those tartlets and mini-cakes (I couldn't catch the actual term for those) taste heavenly. Damm nice! And my managers are very nice, we could take and eat what we wanted and need not ask them. There were also Filipino engineers. So in all there were three from Holland, and two engineers from the Philippines, and three local ladies. Except for one of those managers, the rest of the foreigners are from the office in Dubai.

This is the lounge I was taking care of
This is the actual exhibit just on the other side of my lounge, with Koma's products
Ah this is a mini chocolate or mocha cake. The top has got gold leaf deco somemore. At first I thought this pastry will have those normal cake texture, but in fact it's super soft and fluffy!

Work was fine la, I was just rather pressurised because I was afraid that I'd be interrupting them when I asked them what drink they'd like. And there was this manager, he is the son of the owner of Koma, he is quite a stern person and not as chatty and friendly as the other two managers. Sometimes it is hard to gauge whether he is unhappy with you or whether he is always like that.

I also could get to taste food that I hardly will buy or find..and the food was really good. I hopped around Hall 5 and 6 (Koma is in Hall 6) during my hour-long break and the samples were my lunch. There weren't a lot of samples la, but they were searchable. And of course, I always take photos. I always forget about things and events in my life, how small or big they are. So hope one day I can just flash back and look at what I did. And of course, to share photos with you guys. If you are interested. Pardon the 2 megapixel camera. I didn't bring my Olympus camera so had to depend on my phone.

This is an Italian company behind the Koma exhibit
I like this cake! The way the strawberries are coated is quite special
Look at the gelato ice-cream! Tempted me throughout the days I was working there
Some sesame bun from BreadTalk
Some croissant from this company which manufactures ovens. So they baked this croissant as samples which tasted good
Bakerzin's pastries!!! They already look good themselves. This bakery is French-influenced so its pastries are all cold type one..
Look at the cakes!!! T_T

This company sells chocolate as well as the mould for chocolates
The tray on the right shows those chocolates with the print on top. It's from this paper thingy, edible of course
Choc on the mould






This other sesame bun. Also got from the BreadTalk booth
Ice sculpture contest. I didn't have the time to see the end-products

Ah...feast your eyes!
横行霸道 This is a crab (-_-") Well obviously you can see. It's carved from...suspectedly pumpkin
寿翁磐桃 Can you see the face of the Chinese deity? Damm pro! It's like an expression caught on watermelon
All these four melons even nicer lo...
Look at the rose! Damm nice! Even the colour variation also very nice, from red to white and all the petals and leaves and everything. Love this
Another pro one
Birds. From turnip, I suspect
Cup corn! Another sample I got. It's very nice, the corn is crunchy and juicy and the saltiness is just right
I quite support this, it's convenient and the food-makers can just keep their products in here and consumers can just grab it and pay and eat. Easy to carry. Otherwise, I don't quite like the idea of using plastic
This is some display competition. It's Baked Snow Fish. But the whole point is the decoration that's most important
Ah I like this one. The big fat octopus tentacle and the huge prawn. This already made me want to eat them. It's called some Tapes Variation or what couldn't catch it
This Roasted Monkfish looked delicious

Ah there are actually very thin slices of cucumber on the prawns. Very intricate



Lobster! They're making me hungry again




I'm rather attracted to the colours of the dispenser. But of course, that's the point. Those drinks aren't drinkable, they're selling the drink dispenser
This is those cup that you put the dough in and bake those sort...it's made of plastic, rather stiff plastic and there are many cute designs
Ah this plate contains the pastries that Bakerzin supplied us with. There's scallop, smoked salmon (I like this!!), and beef
Lemon tartlet
Strawberry cheesecake. Mini cake

After work I needed to go to RE at Ngee Ann City to collect my contract, and on my way to the MRT station, there was a super long queue at the taxi stand. What I took was actually at the loop and it extends much longer down.


There were two other Filippinos from Koma, they are the engineers. They were smart enough to take the MRT to Tanah Merah and hail a cab from there to their hotel.

And actually, in the morning, NUS Faculty of Science called to ask me to go for an interview tomorrow at 1655. But I end work later than 1730 and asked if they could postpone my interview. I was rather scared actually, because it's my first day at work and actually I have to be there everyday lo. Felt quite unlucky because I've been slacking for three weeks with no calls and on the day I start work again I was required to go for this interview. Meaning I have to rush to NUS. And after some hassles and a lot of missed calls and consulting the agent and my managers, I was allowed to leave early tomorrow for the interview and my managers were very fine with it. Heng. And I didn't really have time for mental preparation of this interview.

Signed May 2, 2006. Tuesday. 0013 hrs.

No comments: