Tuesday, January 17, 2006

First day of training at StarHub

I'm so beat. My eyes are so red now. Haha. Very shagged after today's long training. It's not hard, it is just like a lecture... Except that the room only has 20 people plus the trainer 21.

I woke up at around 0630hrs and left the house about an hour later. Saw the bus at the previous stop and ran while holding my egg mayonnaise sandwich (I made it myself!) and a packet of HL milk. Bear in mind it's the 1L packet ya. Because just left a bit of milk left so I intended to finish the rest. When I reached the bus stop I was horrified. I hardly reach the bus stop at such a time, and I was taken aback by the many people there. When I reached the train, even more people there! Practically like squeezing. Some office workers were even sleeping while standing and holding on to nothing.

I reached the Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station at about 0820, and walked towards Haw Par Centre, where the training was to be held. It was 0830 and I was soooo alone. After that I saw this other girl wearing the same Giordano polo top as me and I reckoned she's going for the training too. Talked to Yi Xin, and a while later this other girl told me we could enter already.

Training started almost promptly at 9am, this RJC girl, Cindy, was sitting on my left and Jenny from VJC was on my right. Made friends with both of them. After a while I got to know Cheryl from TPJC. And many many others too, just that I don't know them as well. There are 20 trainees in my batch (we're so-called the 1st batch) and all of us are girls waiting for our A level results except for the only guy there who just came back from Perth and waiting for enlistment. Poor guy, so lonely.

Before training started the lady who interviewed us, Hazel, came in and gave us a piece of paper each printed with where we were posted to and the address. I saw the name of the company of the shop and it says Star5 for the outlet I'm supposed to go. I felt a bit sian because it felt like I'm going to some normal handphone retail shop instead of the StarHub outlet. I went back to the Compass Point website when I got home and saw the same address belonging to StarHub. So is that shop a neighbourhood-like handphone shop or is it really a StarHub outlet? I hope for the latter, but if it turns out to be the former, it's ok also la. I remember seeing a StarHub outlet there though.

Our trainer's name is Miguel. He's a real funny guy somehow la. Made the whole talk entertaining and not boring at all, because the sudden inflow of information about Starhub's international services etc can be very taxing. And there is supposed to be this 'Proof of Learning', in simplified terms a test, to be held tomorrow to test us on what we learnt during these two days. Miguel said it is going to be easy, just some MCQs and it is an open-book test. We're required to score 85%, if not, I don't know what will happen. I just do not want to spend too much time on flipping the book they gave us la. The book can't be accompanying me to work from Saturday onwards. Hope I can scrape through lo.

Throughout the training today I learnt of StarHub services (I'm a StarHub user) that I can fully make use of in the future. It is easier for me to understand too. Like those international services, now I know them better when they were like alien to me. Still, I am quite afraid of what will happen to me if I don't make it for tomorrow's test. Haha.

Anyway, when we ended I shopped alone at Plaza Singapura for my Chinese New Year clothes. Haven't got them yet, I have these few days left. If not when work starts I'll be dead meat. Wear old clothes to new year. Went to The Body Shop to look for Grace who has been working there with Yanni. Talked to Grace for quite long. After that I made my way back and chatted with YX over the phone during the journey home.

A second line interrupted, a call from home. My brother said my father wanted to try the Chicken Fantastic from McDonald's, though I'm already so tired I just went along and buy. Well, I wasn't expecting to wait. I joined the shortest queue and saw the manager using a calculator to calculate stuff on a receipt for this woman. The latter spoke English, and she seemed to be having a problem with money matters pertaining to the purchase. They took awfully long. The manager was like 'Ya you ordered this Chicken Fantastic meal, then you upsized it, ... ...' blah blah blah. Wah that woman damm kiam siap. Like that have to print the receipt out for her to check!

Finally it was my turn (I was jumping from queue to queue depending on which seemed to be the fastest), and I had to wait even longer because the burger wasn't ready. While waiting the woman came back with a packet of large fries and asked the guy who was serving me if the one she was holding is upsized. He took an empty regular fries container and large fries container and compared to her. In the end? She was like, 'How come so little?' when I thought the packet is satisfyingly full. She spoke fluent English for a middle-aged woman, and she behaved like she was so... I dunno, uneducated?

Anyway... I gotta go do some research on the StarHub website. And I need to sleep early. Seriously don't know when then I can settle down and read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince properly. Sigh. Ok. Hope I'll have the energy to blog again tomorrow!

No comments: