Tuesday, May 29, 2007

'Better opportunities'

After some time working in a human resources department, I learnt the many reasons why people want to resign from a certain place. The main reason is 'better opportunities'.

That'll be my reason too.

Whaha.

'Cos the officer from Yumin Primary School (FYI: my primary school) called again today and she offered me the admin job there. The thing is, my contract at UPS is supposed to end today however they need to extend our contract for two more weeks.

Let me compare between working at YPS and UPS.

Items

YPS

UPS

Working hours

0830 – 1700

0830 – 1800

Wake up at

Reach home at

0700

1730

0730

1900

Travelling time

≈ 30 mins

≈ 40 mins

Transport costs

$0 - $1.30

$0.65 - $1.30

Lunch time

30 mins

45 mins

Lunch costs

< $2?

$2 - $6

Salary

$54/day ≈ $6.75/hr

$6/hr



So it is quite obvious that working at YPS is a far better deal. The thing is, it is still not known if UPS will increase my pay, but unless they increase to $7/hr which is impossible, I'll go to YPS.

At first I thought that if I go to work at Yumin I may be able to go home for lunch, but alas for the amount of time I have for break. So I still have to spend for lunch.

Moreover if I end work at 5pm, I'll be able to walk to Tampines MRT station within 20 minutes and take the train to Buona Vista and if I don't wait too long for bus 95, I'll be able to make it on time for band practices on Thursday. And there are a lot of places around Yumin for me to get some dinner. Yea.

Tomorrow's the interview for Yumin, hopefully I'll pass it and they'll agree to my 'terms and conditions' haha. 'Cos I'm always quite a troublesome employee due to my commitments.


I hate to part UPS 'cos the other temps that are working with me are rather 'entertained' by my crap, and the ladies and gentlemen at the department are nice and humourous people. But I guess I should be going back to UPS Region HR again probably in the following holidays if no internships come into place.

Hopefully everything goes well!

No comments: