Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Calling home

I'll need to call home when I'll be in Europe, and I just spent the last two hours sourcing the cheapest and easiest way to call home.

But hey, there's not really a cheapest way. The thing is, I don't know what kind of calling cards I can get from there, so for safety's sake, I activated Autoroaming. $10 for activation, $5 subscription per month.

I went to callingcards.com and did a search, but what they said that is cheap turned out to have many kinds of charges, like payphone rate, etc. etc. So may turn out to be more expensive than myself using roaming.

I went to the StarHub website to find out what I can do. I can choose between International Roaming, or GlobalRoam *108*.

Using the former, calling Singapore will be a whopping $3.50 per minute, and it's NOT pro-rated. Sighhhhhh. I must use a stopwatch to talk on the phone then.

However if I use GlobalRoam, it'll be $1.50 per minute. But no pro-rating either. =(

International calling cards could be of good use, and probably much cheaper rates too, but taking into account the taxes, and the daily sum you have to pay to maintain the card, it'd darn expensive as well.

The irony about GlobalRoam is that, calling to other destinations other than Singapore is far cheaper. Take a look at this.

I called 1633 and the woman said that rates are determined by their marketing team. So probably it's some promotions for business people.

But I'm not a business woman.

Called 1633 thrice to confirm everything, and finally activated. The woman said the monthly subscription will be $5, and because my billing cycle starts on the 14th and ends on the 13th, there'll be a second month charge of $5! So I think....I'll ask my brother to call 1633 to deactivate International Roaming on the 13th, and confirm my touchdown and everything with my family so they'll know I'm coming back on the 15th. Heh. Cheapo is like that. So I don't have to pay $5 for the two days. Save up! If got anything I really need to tell my family, maybe can go find an Internet cafe and web SMS my brother through the SingTel website. So I gotta note down all these addresses before I leave.

Lalala.

Now I have to transfer every file from my laptop to the PC so my brother can reformat the laptop.

Bye.

No comments: