Sunday, June 10, 2007

Behind Wooden Bars

Went for PhilWinds concert yesterday.

Kevin Bobo is damn pro. He was the soloist on marimba for Goh Toh Chai's Concerto for marimba and wind ensemble. His speed is ultra fast. However, the piece was too abstract for my liking. I wonder if it was supposed to make any sense. So I just watched Bobo striking the marimba and nearly-dancing at the same time.

His encore was Bicycle, a piece he composed. First movement was Upslope, second movement was Downslope. Quite a cute piece, and I preferred the Upslope as it has two parts, whereas Downslope was more of a melody by itself. After Bicycle, he played a piece entitled 'June 9th 2007' on the snare. The techniques of the piece was immortal. Haha. One thing for sure, this piece won't be performed again because it was some random rhythms he composed on the spot.

John Boyd happily informed the audience the tuba soloist in a symphony arranged from Sousa's marches was Aaron instead of Daniel Kiang. Daniel Kiang's solo was not bad.

There was a Japanese piece at the concert, complemented by Japanese drums. There was a Japanese lady in the percussion section, and when she played the Japanese drums, it was a very pretty sight. Being Japanese, she brought out the entire 日本风味 to the piece. The way she played the drums was really what you see on CNA's Japan Hour. The typical Japanese men hitting the drums.

At first I was supposed to sit alone on the Circle 1 seats 'cos I didn't find company for the concert but wanted to go as it was Aaron's last concert before he enlists. At least that's what he said. Thankfully Mingwei hadn't got his ticket, so he bought a ticket in the same circle and since it wasn't full house, I got Mingwei for company. I don't really like watching concerts alone. Cloud, PK and the rest were sitting in the stalls, and I must say, Circle 1 is best. Heh.

After the concert we hung around Level M since people were looking for the performers, myself included. So spoke to Aaron and the tubists for a while. Aaron is invited to Macau for a performance this week. -_- Bloody envious.

Then went with the NUSWS people to Gluttons' Bay for supper. The char kway teow (not the Apollo one, Felix) was super oily and cost me a hefty $4. But I mustn't deny the taste was not bad. And the teh peng was ultra sweet.

Saw Daniel Kiang, Aaron and Lianwei at the Gluttons' Bay too, but they left way before I did. So when I thought that I shouldn't contact Aaron since Daniel would drive him back, I saw Aaron on the train, but only when we reached Tampines -_- What took them so long was because they took their own sweet time till Aaron decided that he should take the train instead. Met him on the train by coincidence last Wednesday, and by coincidence again he just got my ticket for the concert and I could take it from him then.

This morning when my dad was driving my mum and I to PRP, he saw someone along the road and pointed and said, "This person surely go into the cab and tell the uncle he wanna go to a church." We were on the road near my place and I just got this weird feeling and decided to turn back and look who he was talking about. In the end I saw this lanky guy carrying a huge red thing on his back. -_- Aaron with his tuba. I looked back because we were on the road near Aaron's place. And I told my dad that's my friend but he's no Christian. So I called Aaron and hey, he was going to a church for a performance. Bingo to my dad, the experienced taxi-driver.

Saw Ann Gee on the same train last night too. She's gonna have another art exhibition in July!

BTT on Tuesday.

No comments: