Thursday, December 14, 2006

Whatever you think think the opposite

Got this non-fiction book from Ai Lin. It's those advice kind of books by business gurus. Haha. Found some nice advice that I find quite relevant to myself now.

IT'S NOT ALWAYS GOOD TO HAVE IDEAS.
Some people have a gift for coming up with ideas. But for those that don't it is a real struggle.

Oddly, it is those people who struggle most often the ones who become the most successful.

Having too many good ideas is not always a good thing.

It's too easy to move on to the next one, and the next one.

If you don't have many ideas, you have to make those you do have work for you.

DON'T GO TO UNIVERSITY.
Going into the university usually means, 'I don't know what to do with my life, so I'll go to university.'

A gap year confirms this.

They are delaying tactics.

Some people are lucky enough to know what they want to do early in life.

The majority have great difficulty in putting their assets to useful purpose.

I feel sorry for these people. It isn't easy for them. But going to university is not going to solve their problem.

Whereas going to work will.

GO TO WORK.
If you start work at eighteen, you're five years ahead of someone who start work at twenty-three.

At twenty-three, for all your education, you'll still be the office junior.

If you get your career decisions wrong when you are young, you can alter course, but at twenty-eight it is a bit too late to find out you are in the wrong job.

So don't go to university unless the subject of learning is close to your heart.

Go to work and do your learning in the school of life.

MUM!
I FAILED MY EXAMS.
DISASTER?
IT'S AN ACHIEVEMENT.

It's commonplace to do all right or be somewhere in the middle.

Being bottom or near the bottom has its merit.

It means you are not interested in the run-of-the-mill way in which you're being taught. Your mind is elsewhere.

Fantasizing.

Many people who bottomed out at school have gone on to be rich and successful, not because of their pass marks, but because of their imagination.

So in order to succeed in your failure, you have to think of your failed situation as a good place to start from.

Good marks will not secure you an interesting life.

Your imagination will.
--From WHATEVER YOU THINK THINK THE OPPOSITE. by Paul Arden.

Well I don't know if I have much imagination to start with, but since with my mediocre results, this is quite a morale booster.

I used to imagine when I was just slightly younger that I'll be working with lions. Haha. But there are no zoology stuff taught in Singapore schools, so that 'dream' sort of was called-off. Oh dear. I could be happily studying lions now. But I'm never good at biology, hard to say.

Yea, I gotta dream of something else.

But what? It may ultimately mean there's no point staying in university.

But I'll stay of course. Go with the usual, and I'll want to dream some more.

3 comments:

Spaniel said...

Hey Gal! u know what? lolz.... when I was young I thought about studying about animals and working with animals too! That would be like the best job. But for the same reasons as yours, it seems more realistic to call it off. Nevertheless, I still dream of taking a 2nd leisure degree to study about animals one day. hehe ^^

erina said...

Haha! Wow you call that a leisure degree. Haha.

Spaniel said...

lolz... coz itz something i like, so itz leisure.. now is so not leisure. lolz