Saturday, November 04, 2006

An interesting lecture


Well of course the lecture I had yesterday wasn't as interesting as the funny NTU Indian lecturer telling his audience the comments about himself.

The lecture was about plants. So the lecturer's desk in the LT was decorated with ferns, mosses, and a few pots of plants.

He was then talking about something like how the plants feed themselves etc (I can't remember), then he brought out a small pot of venus flytrap and put it under the projector so the entire LT could see. Then he demonstrated to us how the venus flytrap feeds. He took out a fat little spider!! Haha that part was rather amusing because the lecturer was like 'Help save me!' or something. Haha....hilarious. The spider was then struggling on the forceps.

There were some hair-like structures protruding out of the inner side of the flytrap, which are triggers to close the trap when the hairs are touched twice.

And then the lecturer put the spider on one of the traps and the trap shut. Oooh. I've witnessed how things are like. But what I didn't know is, the venus flytrap is in fact just a small plant. I thought the traps were humongous.

So when the trap is closed the flytrap will excrete digestive juices to..well, digest the insect.

Poor spider!

But come to think of it, I think I need a flytrap in my room at Sheares.

No comments: