Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Virginia Tech massacre

I'm sure many of you have heard about the shootings that occured in Virginia Tech, a university in Virginia, a few days ago which left 33 dead, including the killer himself.

He has been identified as Cho Seung-hui, a South Korean permanent resident in America. His photo in the press looked very normal, just like any other average kid but it is hard for me to imagine him wielding a gun and shooting endlessly. As an English major he wrote plays for his creative writing class and his plays contain extremely gory and violent content. Scary huh. When someone in your class submits an essay which has got all these stuff.

There were two rounds of shootings, one at a dormitory and another at a classroom building. They took place within two hours of each other, however, the university administration did not evacuate students out of the school, if not 30 people, including two professors, would still be alive. I don't know, but they should've taken as far as they could to evacuate students from the school buildings but they didn't. They had two hours. Two whopping hours. I think many lives could be saved at least if information was disseminated immediately. And the president of the university still received a 30-second standing ovation during their candlelight vigil. Which I'm not sure if he deserved it.

There are speculations that 23 year-old Cho suspected an 18 year-old girl that he was romantically involved with was seeing another man. So he killed both of them in a dormitory.

At the end of the massacre Cho commited suicide by shooting himself in the face that left it badly disfigured. He was really disturbed.

I felt quite sad for those who were innocent. The 76 year-old professor who protected his students by blocking the doorway from the gunman while the students jump out of the window. I cannot imagine how many shots the professor took, facing Cho by himself. He deserved the standing ovation much more than the president of Virginia Tech. And all the young people whose lives ended, they don't even know why they were killed. And their parents who will never see their kids coming home ever again.

I am quite thankful that I'm residing in Singapore, where the possession of weapons is against the law. You can't even get a gun legally here. So even if I live in school, I still feel quite safe (other than the fan). This may turn me off on going for exchange programmes, but I'm targeting to go Australia, so things may just go on. We'll see, going on exchange takes into account my scores as well.

Life goes on, life goes on.

No comments: