Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Bio lab

I just had a lab session for my bio module. Today we were supposed to look through a dissecting microscope to see Drosophila mutants, Latin for fruit flies. Gross la.

Haha at first I wasn't that disgusted by the flies, I could still catch them and kill them or whatsoever. This time it was gross not because of how they looked close-up, it was because of them being anaesthetised and they were literally sleeping. So you could see them move a bit which was the most irritating part because they looked so big you were afraid they would suddenly fly.

But quite interesting leh!! Like you see them reallllly close-up. Altogether we saw five mutants. We shoved them around the stage of the microscope using paintbrushes la. So gross. Haha. And I witnessed some whitish-grey substance oozing out of one of the flies' anus. And the lab assistant couldn't be sure what that was. -_-

The previous lab assignments have been interesting as well, we looked at human cheek cells and leaf cells from the hydrilla. Did those before in O level Biology. But I didn't know that chloroplasts actually move within a cell. Another thing is we extracted DNA from our cells. But not to the extent that we could see the cells la, just that we could see them congregating in the solution.

From today onwards I'm never going to catch those fruit flies with my bare hands anymore. -__- Good for me that I'm not a Bio major, I'll die if I have to keep interacting these things. Haha.

This is one of the white mutants that we looked at. It lacked the red pigment in its eyes and several other mutated characteristics.

No comments: