Friday, October 06, 2006

Attack!

Have you ever witnessed those big stray dogs attacking stray cats?

I just did, less than an hour ago. 5 am plus. Well I couldn't sleep so I cannot say I was woken up by the dogs' barking. Man, were they loud. I bet there are many people in Blk E who got disturbed by the noise.

They were reallly loud. At first there were two dogs barking away, then I saw two more. Which makes four big dogs at the grassy area outside the communal hall. My room is facing the com hall by the way, so I could see the dogs.

I went to get my camera to snap some photos of the dogs until I realised that one of the dogs had a cat at its mouth! Freaked me out totally, like the cat just got killed while I was trying to sleep. And the dogs barked at a poor cat sitting at the ledge of a staircase, protected by some canvas sheets.

And I didn't know what to do!!! The dogs just kept on barking and I contemplated about going down to shoo the dogs away, but the more I think about it the more I visualise myself as the next victim. That sort of stopped me from going down.

Then I SMS-ed Qi Jun (my block head) in case he got woken up by the noise but apparently he was sound asleep because he didn't reply. I was trembling when I was SMS-ing him (-_-").

And I was thinking very hard amid the cold sweat what I should do because I don't want another cat to get killed due to the inevitable food chain. And while trying to make sense out of what I was thinking, I heard a few claps and some banging noises. Turned out to be some guy downstairs trying to scare the dogs. And the dogs got distracted and they turned and that someone clapped some more and the dogs trotted away, but after that a dog came back and bit the carcass back along with it.

Ya. I should've done that. The dogs aren't that smart to come around and check where the noise came from and I should have maybe shouted at them. Makes me feel so dumb. And so guilty I almost left the cat to die when I could've done something. And to make the dogs stop barking, of course.

Here are the photos that I took. You may want to blow them up to take a closer look.

The yellow arrow points at the cat, the red ones point at the dogs. There were three of the dogs in this photo. You can see the dead black-and-white cat thrown on the grass patch

Then one of the two dogs left at the scene began to gnaw at the dead cat. So gross la! I got even more flustered at this point at knowing how vicious the dogs were

I was hoping that the dogs didn't know that they can just climb up the stairs and they'll be a bite away from the cat since they just kept barking at it from below.

And one of them got smarter

And that smarter one was so smart that it was moving the canvas sheet away so as to get nearer to the kitty! Terrifying.

Then there came the claps, and the cat was no longer in danger. I think it was startled that it stayed at that spot for quite some time.


After getting back from the toilet after the whole ordeal, I saw that the cat was gone and I spotted it hiding among the bushes with another black cat. I'm sure the black one managed to camouflage itself in the bushes and the dogs didn't smell it.


It's 0652 now, breakfast is starting soon! Ought to go off now.

What a sleepless night.

No comments: