Friday, August 31, 2007

A passing

Two weekends ago in a certain post (scroll down), I mentioned that there was a relative in ICU. It's my god-uncle. Though not blood-related, he was like a real brother to my uncles and aunties.

Just now, my eldest aunt called and told my dad to go to the hospital immediately, to stay by my god-uncle's side. My brother tagged along with my dad, and my dad told me to stay at home and not go.

My brother SMSed me a while ago, 'Han Zi Pek passed away liao,'

We called him Han Zi Pek, or 番薯伯 in Hokkien all along.

I don't know what to do now, I don't know what's the situation like over at the hospital.

I'm not close to Han Zi Pek, he was more like an acquaintance to me. However this entire episode happened a bit too quickly. I saw Han Zi Pek during a birthday celebration in June, like about two to three months ago. He was still the same, and he didn't look like he had any health problems. But his health deteriorated earlier this month, all the hospital stays, etc. Four tumours on his liver. Probably the cancer cells spread, leading to multiple organ failure.

Sigh.

I don't know what to do, I'm feeling odd, but I know he'll always be remembered. My grandmother adopted him when he was young, and looked after him like her own. That's why he was like a real brother to my dad and his siblings.

I hope we'll be able to help his family tide through this ordeal. His wife and two adult sons.

I don't know if I'm feeling sad or anything, I'm just feeling...odd. Some kind of speechlessness when someone dies and you don't know what to do or say.

No comments: