Friday, November 30, 2007

我喜欢苏打绿

Sodagreen came into my life through Hui Shan's blog, and the first song of theirs that I heard, 小情人, was so sweet and beautiful.

'Ventured' further, and I heard 无与伦比的美丽. Found out that the album of the same name was the newest.



And then I heard all of the songs in 无与伦比的美丽. I think I like how every song sounds like, though I still can't remember their titles. Whatever it is, I think their songs are good!

I like the fact that their lead singer doesn't sound much like a guy. This is what makes them special. My mum is still not convinced that he's a guy.

I like the fact that their music takes note of instrumentation very well. I heard viola (because they have a violist member), oboe, clarinet, flute, higher brasses to bring out a fanfare effect in some of their songs. One day I'll hear the tuba. Whahaha. Not that other songs don't use, but sodagreen's songs have this very pleasing effect in the way they use the instruments. Probably the way they sound feels very my-kind-of-band-music.

I like the fact that their music style is quirky and adorable at times, soothing and ballad-ly at times.

I like the fact that one of their songs, 白日出没的月球, i.e. the moon which appears at daytime, has this A-B-A style that my-kind-of-band-music uses. Fast, slow, then fast. So interesting! I was delightedly amused when I heard the transition. Very unique.

I like the fact that their keyboardist/violist is charming. (whaha) For now though, because I only saw him in photos and an MV clip. Receding hairline. I don't like, but well, there's a certain aura about him when performing. And don't trust my taste =P Oh he's the one right in front on their album cover (on top). He got the privilege because he's going to army. I still can't remember his name.

I like the fact that their bassist is a lady. She emits a kind of glamour when she plays. You don't get this kind of expression from male bassists. What we'd call wu seh.

I like the fact that they went
to (and mostly met in) university, feels very close to me.

I like the fact that I'm soooo gonna watch them if they'll have a concert in Singapore again. This concerns money and the fact that I missed their concert in August =( So I have to wait quite long.

Mainly I like them because of the instrumentation in their music and how the final product sounds like. So nice!

No comments: