Friday, March 28, 2008

Of aspirations and long-time wishes

Firstly, I'm bothered by the world clock above this post because you can't see Singapore at all. Whatever.

Anyway.

I'm very disappointed todaaay.

After all that I've been looking forward to, NUSWS is not going for the World Music Contest at all.

In the first place, the WMC mattered to me. It's some mentality stuck into my head that I can't really change.

For me, to go to a competition overseas will be a totally different act from what I've been doing all these years. It's not like I'm a sick in the mind and I love competitions or anything like that, but the entire experience there will still be a milestone in my life. Or at least I think so.

I totally enjoyed my trip to Besana last summer. Experienced living the Italian way. The welcome from the Italians. Many many superb memories that I look back on. And still miss. But going there for the festival again is a big no-no. Unless I'm going there like, at least fifteen years later. I don't see the point of spending so much to go there again for the same things and I don't think I'll appreciate my debut there as much.

I want to go for other festivals too! But WMC comes once every four years. And this is the only chance that I'll get to participate in WMC in university. I don't see the point of going with bands that I don't feel comfortable in. If I miss this, I can only hope for another chance in 2013. Mind you, I've been waiting since 2001. 12 years. Why is it so hard to fulfill? I know I shouldn't be picky. But nothing can be perfect.

It isn't healthy to compete music, I agree. But it's not as if we do it all the time! Have I done it before? Yes, SYF. Have I done it internationally? No. Then that's my problem right.

Oh yes oh yes. I've been to an 'international' competition. In Genting Highlands. There were many bands in our division but if I remembered correctly only two were Malaysian bands and the others Singaporean.

WMC matters to me. It's a platform that I want to get to since like, secondary 2? When Mrs. Chua brought Soka Wind Ensemble there and I went to sent them off at the airport. Then the idea of going for WMC kicked in. I waited 7 years for this. And nooo moreeee.

So what if the purpose of us going WMC is to build up NUSWS' reputation? And there were ideas that if we don't do well there, then that's it for us. In the first place, why do we have so low confidence of ourselves even before we start doing something about it? Look at what we've achieved till this date! We definitely can 凯旋归来。

That was not nice at all, if you get what I'm referring to.

I am sure the point of the existence of WMC is not to look forward to cultural or social exchanges with bands from other countries. It's so obvious that the point of going there is to compete, and see where you stand on the international stage. And who says there won't be international exposure while we're there? There's so much to look out for whenever you are out of home.

I'm not very interested in going to music festivals in cosmopolitan locations. Sigh. But what to do.

Tonight my hopes were dashed. Never mind.

Sigh.

Whatever you think.

4 comments:

Rok Šinkovec said...

Many times ideas from our "band leaders" aren't logical in our view... but we can't do much about it, can we? We can just hope, that perhaps next time they will suggest something more smart.

It is their fault, right? :)

Anonymous said...

Haha, not exactlyyy. The band members voted for that!

=)

Rok Šinkovec said...

Oh... even worse then :) There was the same situation in Slovenia with Krka Wind Band for not going to WASBE conference. But also funds were problem (like allways). A few years before I think they won 1st prize at WMC.

erina said...

Yeaaa! Many things are inevitable. Funds are a problem for us too. =(