Tuesday, March 18, 2008

An addiction

Planet Earth. Along with the memories of the past four decades. I'm still suffering from post-concert-withdrawal, if that's what my friends call it. I have two tests over the next two days, a project review and many other things to prepare and do but I have no mood for anything.

Throughout Sunday and Monday recollections of the concert kept coming back. The Hymn to Gaia kept ringing in my head. Singing it to myself brought bouts of goosebumps and tears. Just thinking about it pained my heart a little. I don't know why.

Usually after a concert I'll be over it the next morning. Sometimes I don't even feel anything at all for any performances.

This time it was so different. So different. My heart still yearns for that hour. Why is it so influential not only to me, but to so many other performers as well? There is a certain power to the piece that no other piece can bring to you. There is a certain connection among the performers that I've never really experienced.

I'd love to relive those moments.

But to play Symphony No. 3 all over again could be an insult to its memory...the first time it was played in Singapore, the first time for many of us to present a breathtaking and astounding piece, many first times. I'd want to keep it to only once. To do it again a second time...I won't really consider unless we have all the things we need - choir, a real church organ, many percussion instruments that we didn't manage to get, so on so forth.

The piece is so powerful, the feeling is like...I can't get enough of it. Like I want to keep doing it. Planet-Earth-addiction. It really is an addiction. Obsession with the memories.

It could also be due to the journey all the way to performing the piece that made us appreciate the result more. Everyone worked really hard to get to where we are today. We made a difference.

O Gaia.

Close your eyes and hold the memories dear.

No comments: