Monday, January 21, 2008

The ironies lie within

I'm sure many of you knew about the MRT disruption earlier today which resulted in a breakdown of train service between Pasir Ris and Tanah Merah. (I'm sure many were asking if someone jumped into the tracks, no no, no one did I assure you)

The disruption
was due to a maintenance works train which broke down while carrying out works between Tampines and Simei.

I was affected too. I heard about it from my mum in the morning but she didn't talk to me too much about it and I assumed train services would resume shortly after (Come on, they don't take that long to resume when someone jumps into the tracks. Apologise for my bluntness). Hence instead of going to the bus-stop where I can take 28 to Bedok MRT (and I'll safely avoid all the mess) I took my usual route of taking the train from Tampines MRT. And to Tampines I went.

Fortunately I was right on time for a train which arrived every 28 minutes to Tanah Merah then I'll change to a train at the middle platform and life was back to normal. Except that I was still late for my noon lecture though I left home earlier so that I'd have time to go to CFA to sign some document. And another round of good luck today, my dad drove me to school from Redhill so I was five minutes early for lesson.

On the way from Tampines to Tanah Merah the train was moving awfully slowly. S--l---o---w--l--y. So I managed to scrutinize the yellow train and saw that the front of the train was a bit..uh..weird. Like out of place or something. Didn't take photos 'cos my phone battery was running low.

I found it amusing when I learnt that it was a maintenance works train which broke down when it should be repairing another train that was faulty.

Many commuters complained of the lack of good service from the SMRT, however, how many have realised that the train have been bringing them to work/school on time on other days of their lives?

Similarly, we can get sick but this doesn't mean that doctors can't.

We are just taking things for granted. Why don't we Singaporeans become more gracious and accept inevitable incidents like this?

Be like my brother. He sat down at LJS at Eastpoint Simei with a cup of coffee and read the papers while waiting for the crowd to disperse before he took the train. He knew it was a very valid excuse to be late anyway, and he has a clean record for punctuality. In the end he was two hours late for work. And another irony is, he got a pay rise today. Don't you just wanna be him?

No comments: