Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fooooooood. Part two.

And so I did.

I cooked today. Muahaha. Made me so happy.

I cooked meatballs, recipe from PW. I chose hers today (and not Jamie Oliver or Kayotic etc.) because I don't have those spices that other recipes require. The nearest supermarket is poorly stocked when it comes to spices like basil and rosemary, so I decided to do away with those and work on a recipe that didn't require any.

I think I'll like the recipes with more spices better. Anyway, here goes!


Finely chop the onion.


I chop until damn swee right. WHAHA.

Airpork.

I really wanted to dig the white parts out but stopped myself because that would be never ending. I just hope that the chopping board and mincer and whatever else they used to make this portion of $2.80 ground pork possible is clean.


The pork was on special offer. My mum said it could be because of swine flu so people don't wanna eat. =S Oh no.

Oh and this recipe calls for beef but I can't cook beef at home, so I subsituted that with pork.

Anyway, in went the oats. This recipe uses oats instead of breadcrumbs/crackers.


Got milk also.


Onion.


Salt.


The black pepper. One of my good friends in the kitchen.



Done with all the ingredients! Now is to mix them all together.

Ah!

Before that, make sure you wash your hands. Swine flu you know. Hahhahaahhaa.


The picture above makes me feel kinda sad because my hand is so fat =(

Okay I know it must be the angle. *self consolation*

Anyway, here's the result. Reminds me of ngoh hiang before I put the meat into the beancurd skin. But of course, of a very different aroma.


I then scooped them out by the tablespoon and rolled them into medium sized balls.


Did someone say balls?

I know these meat 'balls' aren't the roundest things on Earth, thank you very much.

Into the freezer for five minutes.


Then take them out and dredge them in flower. I mean flour.


Ta-daa.


Oil into the saucepan.


Ah, I later figured that I put too many for one batch.


There are 13 balls altogether by the way. How lucky.



Ok I know I don't have the nicest meatballs here but we're gonna eat them, so heck!

HAHA.

And here's them with the sauce poured over. The sauce is made up of ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, onion, ....and I can't remember already.


And the baking dishes at home are either too big or too small. I settled with too big.

Afterwards I sent them into the oven for forty minutes.

The recipe said 45, but I can't really bear to see more of the sauce drying up.



Verdict: I think it's quite nice, I was quite surprised by the taste because I thought it'd be quite normal. But I know I won't make it again. Mum only ate one, she said she doesn't like the sauce. Dad ate a few, he said that it's too sweet. Bro ate a few too, he said it's not bad.I ate a lot. Shit.

No comments: