Friday, April 03, 2009

Banana cake

with fudge frosting.

Found this recipe on Betty Crocker.

I won't say that this is a screw-up, because in the end the cake was still edible. Though no one at home really finished it since it was sweet. Usually they finish up the savoury stuff.

I baked this cake for my Dad's birthday (which was mid last month).

Haha sorry for the almost-a-month late update. Whatever.

And you all don't laugh at me lo. Hahaha. I doubt this is as entertaining as the blueberry muffins one though.

So I sifted my flour,


added the baking soda,


cinnamon,


and salt in a bowl,


and a lot of sugar into a large mixing bowl. I used brown sugar instead...healthier. Supposedly.


DIY-ed some buttermilk,



took the bananas
out to mash.


I mashed the not-so-ripe =( bananas coarsely, hoping that there'd be some texture in the cake.


Flashed out my new springform pan.


Actually I didn't really need a springform for this, because it's just a normal cake. Not like it's a cheesecake or anything like that. But I invested in it because I thought, probably next time I'll make some cheesecake. Probably. Next time. Don't know when.

Add softened butter to the dry mixture.


See the impression of my thumb on the butter? I hope that's soft enough =S


Whizz.



Then the eggs.


Vanilla.


Then whizzed some more.


Add the dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately. Dry mix - buttermilk - whizz - dry mix - buttermilk - whizz....till everything is used up.



Until you get a nice looking batter.


In goes the bananas.


Stir.







I thought looking at the cake rise above the pan is a good sign.


Maybe it isn't. It could be the cake pan being too big or small, or whatever reason there is, that caused the cake to rise then fall again =( And on top of that, there's a canyon right in the middle of the cake. I named that the Grand Banana Cakeyon.

HELLO!


HELLO!

HELLO!


HELLO!

Hello!
Hello!

Hello!

This is how it looks like out of the springform.


It's waaaayyyy uglier than the kind you buy at the neighbourhood bakeries.

Anyway, I bought some walnuts. And toasted them in the toaster.


Chop chop.


And this is what you get.


Time for the disgustingly sweet chocolate fudge.

I don't know why I'm making this cake.

I don't like chocolate.

But I just wanted to try and ignored all possible consequences. =P

Sugar and unsweetened cocoa and milk.


Oh boy that was a huge amount of sugar. I swear I didn't add as much as the recipe asked me to.



Stir stir stir.


Butter and honey.


Stir stir stir,

this is the consistency you get.


(my this is super unhealthy. No wonder I put on weight. I should just quit baking altogether, my figure is getting from bad to worse.)

Spread the fudge around the cake.

Sprinkle/drizzle/POUR the walnuts over.

Add some decorations.


Cake. Birthday cake.



Clap hands, sing song.


Blow wind blow.


See the walnuts all over the place in that general direction? This is wind dispersal.

Maybe my dad could have been a tuba player when he was younger, he's just keeping it from me.

One thing I learnt from this is that, it's not exactly a good thing to serve up freshly-baked cakes. Beware of what might happen.




As you can see from the photo above, the coarse banana bits fell to the bottom of the cake. Apparently the batter wasn't thick enough to hold it there. I don't think the cake is soft. Nor fluffy. =(

I want cake.


AHHHHHH~!


I'm back.


I want cake.


Best served cold.

Just like my jokes.

No comments: