Friday, November 28, 2008

Of names and definitions

Prelude: I'm finally off the four days (plus maybe two weeks of studying) of hell. A paper each day for four days, I'm down to one paper left - due next Wednesday. 5 days to nua and of course, study for the last paper. 


Anyway.

I've been going to the public library the past week to study. And being a library, it has tons of books that I always love to flip. Cookbooks, travel guides, some fiction, non-fiction from the recommendations rack. 

One fine day I came across this book "60,001+ Baby Names" and miraculously I found my name! Finding my name in such books is hardddd. And I'm quite happy that I found mine. Just that I don't know how accurate the stuff inside the book are. Oh I saw the book at Popular Bookstore too.

Surprise, surprise. Considering that my name was more of a random one that my dad (I think) concocted. 

Erina (American) peaceful

WORLD PEACE! HURRAY!

真是人如其名。Hahah just kidding la.


My Chinese name is lín wăn jīng - 林琬菁.

My parents have no idea what it exactly meant. -_-

Honestly I don't like how it sounds like, kinda...uncool. And outdated. (I recently got to know someone who likes names with 'wan' in it, but I don't really understand why =P) Well at least not as 'cool' as 'Erina' IMO. =P Evergreen.

But I like how my Chinese name looks like. 

-> forest (well this is my surname, not exactly counted)
-> a fine jade
-> being used to name/describe a flower, more specifically 韭菜花. You know, koo chye? If I'm not wrong, flower of the chives. =\ Okay not very cool. 

But very pretty righhhhhhht.

What I think is implied from my name is...the essence of that jade. Hurhur. Okay la, depends on how you look at it. My mum told me that one of my senior cousins came up with this name. (NOT limshizi!)

And if you happen to wonder how my dad came up with 'Erina', well guess my brother's name first. 

Eric? 
Right.

My sis?

Erin.
Bingo.

And then there was me. 

E-R-I-N-A! E-R-I-N-A! E-R-I-N-A! And Erina was her name, oh!

Pardon the 'high-ness'.

No comments: