Wednesday, December 24, 2008

平安夜的晚餐

Growing up in a very very very Chinese family, I've never had any kind of Christmas dinner at home. Not that I ever yearned for one, but it is quite fun if we can have one. So...

I donned the apron!

Well it would be too ambitious for an amateur cook to prepare a turkey, so I decided that I should avoid any kind of bird altogether. Fish is the solution, since it is simple and fast to cook. And there was dessert!

Mum (and later Bro) helped me in the kitchen, but this time I was doing the main stuff instead of my mum. She helped me take out the gigantic Corningware plates and made everything looked so small! Hahaha so pardon the presentation:

The fish wasn't thaaaat small, it was the plate that was big
At top left is the coleslaw, top right is the mashed potato

I apologise if you are looking for something presentable, I was too busy to bother about that! Haha.

The fish was bought frozen from the supermarket at $3.99 for two packs, four pieces each. It said 'Sutchi fillet' or something like that, it wasn't dory.

After some googling I learnt that sutchi is actually a kind of catfish which you see below. The sound of catfish makes me sick in some way or the other, but well, I've eaten it all in.

Striped catfish but I don't see the stripes

The fish was marinated with Worcestershire sauce, paprika (I should've used chilli powder), garlic, freshly grounded pepper and Italian herbs then pan-fried. And then eaten with malt vinegar. Yummy. The fish turned out not bad! Before I knew that it was catfish, that is.

That's coleslaw on the side, nothing much, just shredded carrots and finely-cut lettuce and dressing.

Then there was mashed potato and broccoli, which I think worked out pretty fine. Okay, in fact I think it's good. HAHA. I didn't do much, all I did was to follow the recipe and Bro helped me mash. I was busy with dessert.

DESSERT!! What is a Christmas dinner without dessert?! So I made (for the very first time) an apple tart. It turned out pretty well! Yeay!

Apple tart!
(note my Bro's clean plate in the background! YEAY!)

Haha if you're gonna ask me why there's a + on top of the tart. It's because I don't have enough leftover dough to make a nice lattice =P Aiya, never mind la, not as if I open a restaurant. Haha.


But there's too much crust and too little apple =\ Not that I mind, but I certainly won't like this kind of thing if I buy any pie or tart from outside.


成功!

And so that was the product of five hours of buying and cooking. And quite some money. Because I bought quite a few new condiments that didn't exist in my kitchen (like malt vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, etc.).

Not so Christmasy after all eh? With no turkey no stuffing no log cake. Aiya, who cares!

Maybe I'll cook up a New Year's dinner. Time to hunt for some new recipes =D

No comments: