Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Science Orientation Week 2006

Little Mermaid
I've never been to any orientation that is as fun as Science Orientation Week 2006!! Enjoyed myself thoroughly. =D

There are four orientation houses namely Offshore, Toon Town, Lost Woods and Graveyard. I'm in Offshore, in the orientation group Little Mermaid. Haha when I got to know that my OG was named Little Mermaid I was like, (-_-") cos it was a bit corny to start with. And then the other OGs in Offshore are Shark Tale, Sinbad and Peter Pan. So you know the OGs are named after this kind of things. But so what? 我们是美人鱼,你要怎样?Heh. Love my OG to bits. It's like everyone is unique and you have something special to remember the person about.

Day 1 - 03082006, Thursday
A fresh start
Yi Xin and I were slightly late (because I overslept on my first night in hostel) but there were people who were later. It started with ice-breakers! Got to know my OGLs and seniors, Way Chin, Jason, Rui Feng, Ai Feng, Ya Ling, Jenny and Amanda. During the ice-breakers I saw Evelyn (who was from MJC) and with her was Ching Wen (who was from MJ too, but I don't really remember seeing her around in school). By the way, Yi Xin and I are in the same OG.

Freshmen in Little Mermaid are Ismy, Zoe, Evelyn, Wei Ling, Ching Wen, Yi Xin, Ming Fue, Shi Ting, Pin Xuan, Arthur, Wilson, Tze Siong, Chin Fung, Daniel Liu, Samuel Seah, Yu Ming, Nathalie and me. 18 of us.

I found a familiar face - Evelyn - who was from MJ too. Then I realised that Ching Wen was from MJ but I have never seen her in school before and she could recognise me. Haha.

Inter-OG games
First programme we had (if I'm not wrong) was the inter-OG games. The tiring part was that I wasn't exactly prepared to play haha so was quite lazy. Heh. Just lost touch with all the enthusiasm of games like these and I took a while to get hyped up.

I like to go around finding people who are and were in band whenever and wherever I can, and I found Tze Siong who plays the French horn, Wilson - cornet, both of whom are still playing. Amanda used to play the flute and Ismy who played the trombone in secondary school. And we have Yi Xin and I who are still playing!

So nice.

Wilson and Samuel on the sack
Jason and Arthur
From left to right, front to back: Chin Fung, Daniel, Tze Siong, Wei Ling, Ismy, Wilson, Jason, Samuel and Arthur
Pin Xuan, Zoe, Ming Fue, Nathalie, Yi Xin and me
Evelyn and Ching Wen
Yi Xin and I on the limbo
Daniel (for some reason looking at TS) and Tze Siong
It's Erina and Yi Xin again
Twister!
Here's our senior Jason
So unglam la..shoot me somemore
海带呀海带~
This is a picture of our opponent OG at one of the stations. Piang another unglam photo

SP meeting 1
Today there was SP meeting! SP as in Secret Pal. This is when we were blindfolded and had to walk quite a distance to this place where we spoke to this person of the opposite sex and get to know each other without revealing yourself. My SP, Kendrick was from VS and VJC and major in Life Sciences. And we just talked crap through la. It was quite awkward at some point because we didn't really have a lot of common topics. Oh but politics was quite a common topic though.

There aren't enough guys around, so guy seniors had to play SP too. Haha.


They took snapshots of us chatting with our SPs.

Rui Feng and SP I seriously can't recognise who this is Yi Xin and her SP. She's like very unhappy like that. Haha Samuel Chin Fung Nathalie Ching Wen Tze Siong Pin Xuan Yours truly. Haha so awkward! Jason Wilson Arthur.....but apparently the one opposite him is not his SP Evelyn Ming Fue Ismy. Her SP and my SP are like best friends...same schools since young Daniel still waiting for his SP

And we had briefing all that and when things were finally done it was rather late already..and we had to wake up early the next morning. We as in Yi Xin and I. I forgot to bring my towel so I had to go get from my hostel.

My OGLs and seniors were great! I think we hit off pretty well, nobody's a stranger there.

Day 2 - 04082006, Friday
Inter-buddy-OG games
Our buddy OG is Peter Pan, and we're known as 'Pan-maids'. There was tug-of-war as a station. It was the first time I think I really played a tug-of-war game, and I enjoyed it la. There was guys against guys and girls against girls and seniors against seniors. We won for the girls!!! Muahahahaaaaa. I was down for the seniors too since there weren't enough people. That was when my arms were overworked and ached for the next few days. We lost that one.

Before we start at a station, we have to do a cheer for the station masters Samuel's legs are nice la. So much for an ex-ACJC water polo player Played a variation of soccer where guys and girls mix to form groups in a line and kick! Ultimately they just want guys and girls to hold hands. Some of the games were quite 'on purpose'. This is sth like the hen and the chicks game Our seniors cheering for us Pan-maid seniors! From left (I try to recall their names): Yan Bin, ?, ?, ?, June, Mason, Ya Ling, Way Chin, Ai Feng (Feng-jie!), Rui Feng and Jason Woh woh woh Pan-maidss~~~ Woh woh woh Pan-maids~~~Stylomilo, yandao chiobu......

Movie
After which we watched this movie, Reincarnation in LT 25. Scared the hell out of me. I don't watch horror movies ya. But it was a real good show. After the movie I didn't really think too much about it la. We dunno the agenda for the camp this week, by the way. We just followed what our seniors told us.



Fright Night
This is the worse yet quite funny part of the entire camp...Erina's heart is not functioning well ever since it was formed you know, I was damm scared........the seniors did a great job preparing the Fright Night! It was reallllly scary la.......the story line and all.

Actually we were supposed to go to the stations to accomplish the tasks there and retrieve clues that won't be handed directly to you. And the make-up were good la...damm good. Won't go on explaining about the stations...you all can see it for yourself. Join SOW! Hahaha.


I'm damm useless haha I knew that the whole set up was fake and the souls were fake but I just hated all those la and I still got spooked hahaha. Yi Xin was quite pissed with me 'cos she was my partner. The guys in my OG were all taken up by the other girls. =/

To Fong Seng!
After tonight we went to Fong Seng for roti prata~ as supper. I have no idea why they call it Fong Seng, but there's a row of shophouses that we have to walk quite a distance to..it was swarmed by OGs from other orientation camps too. The prata was nice! But the prices..not really to me.



On the way back I spoke to Wilson and Tze Siong. Wilson was actually a buddy of Daniel Kang's! They knew each other while Dan was at AJC for first three months. Tze Siong was from Ngee Ann, meaning we were under the same conductor and there was a combined concert between HSCCB and NASCB. I didn't remember seeing him there but he said he found me familiar or something.

Indian Poker
At the end of the day after bathing when we got back from supper we played Indian Poker with the seniors. Damm fun la...hhahaa...everyone said they'll stay up and in the end we were the last group still playing and planning forfeits there to amuse ourselves. We did sleep la, but for less than an hour.

Yi Xin with cards all over her face as forfeit

Day 3 - 05082006, Saturday
Inter-house games
War!!! We had to prepare the water bombs in the toilet by ourselves and in short, we have to throw at the opposing house (which was Toon Town) heh heh heh. But we lost la, what the hell.

Either on Thursday or Friday we learnt our Mass dance. It was quite a nice dance la, but a bit complicated (I can't coordinate my arms and legs so it was quite a thing to learn) and the songs were rather cute. We learnt the dance is because we had to dance with our SPs on SP night. (-_-")

Day 4 - 07082006, Monday
Freshmen Inauguration Ceremony
We had to wear formal to the University Cultural Centre for the FIC. Before the event started, this group in NUS called Resonance entertained us. They were damm great la!! They are an acapella group who sang really really well, they impressed everyone in the hall. I remembered their 望春风 most fondly as some of my OG people loved the song that they kept singing it. When the ceremony began, the deans and head of departments wore their graduation gowns which was quite a magnificent sight such that all of us in the hall were like 'Waaahhhhhh'. Then we sat through the not-too-long ceremony after which there was a buffet to feed the hungry souls like us.



Way Chin and Jason's birthday celebration
After the ceremony we went to celebrate Way Chin and Jason's birthday. It was some sort of OG outing too. Went to Suntec to celebrate. Heh heh. After which we went to get presents for our SPs. We were supposed to get a gift, minimum $5. Passed by Mini Toons and saw this hand-held massager, something like a hammer but the hammer part is a plush soccer ball. My SP said he loves soccer so I got that for him along with a Snicker's bar. Shopped a bit and decided to settle down at Ben & Jerry's for ice-cream~


Day 5 - 08082006, Tuesday
Flag Day
Ah, another Flag Day to do. Was grouped with Daniel Liu and Yi Xin and our OG was assigned to the Bugis/Lavender area. My group positioned ourselves somewhere at NAFA and the Kwan Im temple there. Our seniors were damm nice la! They bought us drinks and walked around to ensure that we were doing fine and helped us to do many errands! So touched. I really respect my seniors for all those nice things and sacrifices they did for us. T_T And we went home for National Day. I had to leave early because there was a Mus'Art practice for the Beautiful Sunday performance this Sunday.

Day 6 - 10082006, Thursday
Sentosa!
I wasn't really exactly looking forward to Sentosa, but well, we had a wonderful time! It was against OGs again, I must say my OG did really quite well since we lost only a few games. And we got ourselves wet! Come on, what are games at Sentosa if you weren't required to throw yourselves into the water? And I was all salty and uncomfortable but I had fun!



A few days ago I went to browse around Funkygrad at funkygrad.com, it's some sort of a Friendster but usually for undergrads in Singapore. We were supposed to 'chat' with our SPs over Funkygrad but their names will not be revealed but with a Shrek nickname replacing his name. For girls it'll be Fiona. Shrek and Fiona, get it? Anyway, there was some fault with Funkgrad 'cos when I opened my SP's profile I could see his real name. Meanwhile people in my OG were saying that our SP OG is Sylvester since some of my friends knew who their SPs were already. And during one of the stations at Sentosa, we competed against Sylvester. We had to play against each other playing 黑白配. This was when I heard them calling 'Kendrick' to go next. That's my SP. So I got to know who my SP is already. No fun sia. I didn't purposely go find out who he was lo. Haha and after everything there was another SP meeting and I reconfirmed with him. And he said he saw my blog!!! Stupid me, left my blog address on Funkygrad so he knew how I looked like but couldn't find me anywhere in camp. Quite amusing, he's a nice guy anyway. We actually talked about pon-ning the mass dance since we admitted to each other that we couldn't dance.

Day 7 - 11082006, Friday
Amazing Race
As you all know from the name we had to go from places to places but luckily this time it was only in NUS itself, not the entire Singapore. Had to run all over the place though it's within NUS premises. I wore my HSCband tee that day and one of Peter Pan's seniors, June, asked me if I was from band. Then we chatted and realised that she was also a tuba player!!! Mason, also one of Peter Pan's seniors, joined us and we were all tuba players! So cool la. But they didn't continue playing la.

Preparation for Talent Night
We went to Peter Pan's room to prepare for the Talent Night. Not exactly a last minute thing, we had things more or less ready and made full use of our own resources. We decided to play a news section about the Little Mermaid being captured by Captain Hook and who will rescue Little Mermaid?? And in between there was an advertisement segment and we made a spoof of the Visa ad featuring Richard Gere and the little Indian girl. And back to news live, when Peter Pan strikes and rescued Little Mermaid from the clutches of Captain Hook.


The reporter, Richard Gere and the enough-for-only-one-bird stall owner

SP night
Oh finally it's the SP night. We first assembled at the Multi-Purpose Sports Hall at the Sports & Recreation Centre which had no air-conditioning and ventilation was damm poor! Everyone was sweating there la. The Little Mermaids were brought to where Sylvesters were sitting and we had to guess who our SPs were. I didn't have to guess la, but I didn't want to sit down first so hovered around for a while. I confused my SP with another guy in his OG so couldn't really make out who is who. But well we all settled down and danced and walked back to the FOS canteen for dinner. The seniors made the atmosphere like romantic la. I felt bad because the seniors had to serve us the buffet. The tables (think canteen tables) were laid out with pink tablecloths and a candle stuck there. Balloons hung from the pillars too. Sat with Ismy and her SP Ho Teck (if I didn't get his name wrongly). What we did throughout the dinner was to ask 欠扁问答题 and played with the table opposite us where Wei Ling and Ming Fue and their SPs sat. Exchanged contacts in the end and went back to the LT for Talent Night.

Talent Night
And there it is! We were the second item after Sinbad & Sharktale and we thought we did really well. But in the end we didn't win! The other items were quite boring lo. We thought ours were the funniest as the other groups were talking mainly about the SOW and re-enacted certain events of SOW. At the end of the day there was some sort of prize presentation with awards like 'Loudest OG', 'Best OG Flag' and the like were given out along with the usual Best OG and Best House. Little Mermaid got 2nd for Flag Day!! So we were awarded vouchers from NYDC and Party World!! The latter is a karaoke place. And Offshore House (including Little Mermaid, Sharktale, Peter Pan and Sinbad) got the Best House!! That's like overall winner of the whole SOW la. So high.

Before we concluded there was something simple but special for everyone. There was this session where the SOW committee played English (and one Hokkien) songs and everyone got high! We were dancing and jumping around in the LT and singing at the top of our voices la. Though I felt damm dirty and wanted to bathe already. We jumped to the extent of sweating in the air-conditioned LT. There were songs like 'It's my life', 'It's not easy to be me', 'I wanna hold your hand', and the Hokkien song '要是我有一百万' and many other songs that most people knew how to sing and therefore everyone can enjoy themselves. Sooooooooo happy and high yet a bit sad that SOW was going to come to an end. And school was about to start.

Day 8 - 12082006, Saturday
Rag Day
Rag Day is like a mini-Chingay that takes place in NUS every year, and our Chancellor, President of Singapore S R Nathan was invited too. Different faculties and societies made floats and danced in a bid to win the Chancellor's Shield. Faculty of Science won last year, but this year our 'arch-rivals' School of Business got the Shield.

Science
Science
Biz
The wings are really flapping when the guy paddles on the bicycle

The treasure chest opened
Smoke is coming out of the chimney!

As I type down the events that I remembered it amazed me to know how fast the people in my OG became close-knit so fast. Aaah.

When you all go to university (if you haven't), join the orientations! It's a good time to make great friends and settle yourself early into the system. Of course if you're not the kind who goes it's perfectly fine, just that orientation is an aspect of uni life that you have to experience! I never and will not regret participating in SOW!

I tried hard to recall every detail of the SOW, and if I posted any wrong information, just ignore it la. =/

No comments: